I love all the different ways I can add herbs into sweet foods. This recipe is no different. What better way to warm you up after a meal than a spice cake using delicious carminative herbs and circulatory stimulating herbs.. These herbs will not only keep you warm in the winter months but also help you digest your food as well. *This recipe is gluten free. You can also use a butter and yogurt substitute to make it dairy free*
- 2 1/4 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granular sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp all spice
- 1/2 tsp clove
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- Preheat oven and grease a baking pan. I used a 9×13 in pan here.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and spices
- Melt butter in a heat proof measuring cup (2 cup size or larger). Add molasses to the cup and pour these two into the cry ingredients. Gently mix with a spoon.
- Add water and stir until evenly mixed.
- Whisk together egg and yogurt in a separate container. Stir into batter.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before slicing. Best served warm.
Jillian Carnrick, founder and manager of The Dancing Herbalist, has a Masters of Science Degree in Herbal Medicine, practices as a nutritionist, and is a Certified Personal Trainer and Exercise Is Medicine Professional through the American College of Sports Medicine. The Dancing Herbalist posts on this blog every Thursday. For more of our posts, join us on Patreon. Jillian also presents regular live classes in The Dancing Herbalist’s home herbalist courses online. For more learning opportunities or to work one-on-one with Jillian with her wellness and herbal consultationsvisit The Dancing Herbalist.com.