There is still enough time to make herbal salves for your family and friends for the holidays. Lets get going now.
- Ball jar with lid
- Crock pot with warm setting
- Meat thermometer or similar
- Muslin cloth
- Glass or ceramic sauce pan
- Metal tins or small glass jars
- Olive or coconut oil
- Herbs of choice
- Essential oils of choice
- Lavender, rosemary, peppermint, eucalyptus, tea tree are all easy to find and easy to use
This recipe is for a quick infusion. Generally, when infusing herbs into oil you do not want to do it quickly and you do not want to use too much heat.
- Fill your crock pot with water half way and put it onto the warm setting. Leave the lid off.
- In your jar, fill it 1/4 way full with herbs and fill the rest of the jar with oil. Stir together. You can use a smaller jar if desired or only fill the jar 1/2 way with herbs and oil. Put the lid on your jar.
- Put your jar into the crock pot and let it sit there for 24 hours.
- Remove your jar from the crock pot. Strain the oil through a muslin cloth to remove the herb particles.
- Measure the volume of oil you have and put it to warm in the ceramic pot on low.
- Divide the volume of oil you have by 5 and add that much beeswax to the pot.
- When the beeswax has melted, remove the pot from the heat, add in a few drops of essential oil (I put about 30 drops per 1/2 cup of oil). Gently stir.
- Pour oil into metal tins or small glass jars. Cover and allow to cool. Be sure to label your salve with a name, ingredients, and date.
I hope you enjoy making these quick salves before the holidays. Don’t want to spend the time making them yourself? Purchase them through The Dancing Herbalist instead or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a customized product.